100 years of Urban Planning at Illinois
Please join us as we celebrate our first 100 years of planning education at the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign. We mark our beginning with the hiring of Charles Mulford Robinson as the first Professor of Civic Design in the country, appointed here at Illinois in 1913 (PDF). Robinson implemented a curriculum that integrated design, economics, and the study of local government in the innovative new program. The Department of City Planning was formed in 1965, including the Bureau of Community Planning. Over the years, Karl Lohmann, Henry Wright, Harland Bartholomew, Louis Wetmore and many others were significant in developing "the Illinois School," a notable combination of professional planning practice and scholarly study. While the Department of Urban Planning has changed dramatically in many ways since that time, the University of Illinois continues to be a leader in research and education in the planning profession.
Our anniversary mark is a stylized version of the map of the quad and the University of Illinois included in Notes for a Study in City Planning in Champaign - Urbana (PDF), the product of Robinson's 1913 and 1914 Classes in Civic Design at the University of Illinois, an effort which Robinson said was to give 'concreteness and practicability' to the students' academic work. "Dare to Plan" is from Andrew Isserman's 1985 article for The Town Planning Review (October, 1985), entitled, "Dare to Plan: An essay on the role of the future in planning practice and education."
Refresh your department memories through the anniversary additions to our web site, including Department Milestones and a Faculty Timeline. Included with the names and dates are links to our evolving digitized archive — photographs, biographies, UP Words, Alumni News, and more. We encourage you to help us better define our archive by sharing your stories and photographs with us at email@example.com. Remember someone's name that we don't have for a group photograph? How about those group photographs in front of the West Nevada Street houses? SPO events? Remember Fall Ball and Spring Fling?
In honor of our 100th anniversary, Professor Emeritus Lew Hopkins has created the Illinois Network, showing the people and places associated with our program and relationships among these people and places. Think of it as six degrees of separation, DURP-style.
Historical Class Pictures
|1912||The Division of Landscape Architecture created within the Department of Horticulture and library established.|
|1913||Charles Mulford Robinson appointed Professor of Civic Design in the Division of Landscape Architecture in the Department of Horticulture in the College of Agriculture.|
|1914||Student workshop study for Champaign and Urbana under guidance of Robinson.|
|1915||L. Deming Tilton graduates.|
|1920||The Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture approved. The degree has a concentration in city and regional planning. Harland Bartholomew appointed to faculty and authors City Plan for East St. Louis.|
|1921||Karl B. Lohmann appointed to faculty.|
|1923||Harland Bartholomew, with Tilton as associate planner, authors The City Plan for Memphis Tennessee.|
|1924||Library moved to Mumford Hall.|
|1930||Bachelor of Science in the City Planning Option in Landscape Architecture. Robert B. Mitchell graduates in architecture and is listed as Associate in Landscape Architecture. Students take Ford Trimotor flight over Chicago for perspective on workshop class.|
|1931||Henry Wright teaching as non-resident lecturer. The Division of Landscape Architecture restructured into the Department of Landscape Architecture in the newly formed College of Fine and Applied Arts. Principles of City Planning, by Karl Lohmann published.|
|1934||The Bureau of Community Planning, an extension and research unit, established.|
|1935||Eldridge Lovelace graduates.|
|1936||Regional Planning, by Karl Lohmann published.|
|1945||The Master of City Planning degree approved.|
|1949||Calvin Hamilton graduates.|
|1953||The Bachelor of Fine Arts in City Planning created.|
|1954||The Department is renamed the Department of City Planning and Landscape Architecture, incorporating the Bureau of Community Planning. UIUC is one of sixteen university planning programs in the U.S.|
|1955||Louis B. Wetmore appointed Head of Department.|
|1957||Louis B. Wetmore President of American Institute of Planners.|
|1960||Department creates separate Divisions of Landscape Architecture and of City Planning.|
|1968||William Goodman and Eric Freund edit Principles and Practice of Urban Planning ("Green Book").|
|1970||Professor Lachlan Blair teaches intro planning course using Illiville simulation.|
|1971||Michael Brooks appointed Head of Department.|
|1972||Department moves from Mumford Hall to houses on West Nevada.|
|1978||Carl Patton appointed Head of Department.|
|1983||The Ph.D. in Regional Planning authorized.|
|1984||Lew Hopkins appointed Head of Department.|
|1987||East St. Louis Action Research Project. Gill Chin Lim and Lew Hopkins edit Journal of Planning Education and Research.|
|1995||The Department moves to Temple Hoyne Buell Hall.|
|1998||Christopher Silver appointed Head of Department.|
|2008||Edward Feser appointed Head of Department.|
The four documents linked below were written in 2013 in honor of our 100th anniversary.