About Dustin Allred, AICP
Dustin Allred is a Lecturer of Urban and Regional Planning. Dr. Allred’s research is focused on urban governance, sustainable development and processes of urban restructuring. He is interested in how regions, cities and communities are managing mounting crisis related to social and environmental issues and the effect of different policy approaches and governance arrangements on the built environment and related outcomes. Through his teaching and research, he addresses the ecological viability of our built environment, incorporating concerns for environmental justice, inequality, and the distribution of costs and benefits with regard to the processes and politics of land use policy formation and implementation.
- PhD, Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- MUP, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
- BS, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, 1996
Research and publications
Ongoing and upcoming research
Ongoing and Upcoming Research
Rezoning Champaign Project
This project explores recent efforts to ease development regulations related to parking and open space requirements in the City of Champaign. Like many college towns across the US, the Champaign-Urbana region has seen a huge increase in the construction of student housing in the last decade. This project looks at the drivers of this change, the link between land use and development policy, and the impacts of these changes on outcomes like the affordability of housing across the region.
Allred, D. and A. Chakraborty. 2015. Do Local Development Outcomes Follow Voluntary Regional Plans? Evidence From Sacramento Region's Blueprint Plan, Journal of the American Planning Association 81(2): 104-120. DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2015.1067574.
Allred, D. 2015. Development governances and the New Regionalism: How the ‘smart growth machine’ is restructuring metropolitan space. In D. Wilson (Ed.) The Politics of the Urban Sustainability Concept, Champaign, IL: Common Ground Research Networks. DOI:10.18848/978-1-61229-800-9/CGP.
Chakraborty, A. and D. Allred. 2015. Connecting regional governance, urban form, and energy use: Opportunities and limitations. Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports 36: 1-7.
Chakraborty, A., D. Allred and R. H. Boyer. 2013. Zoning Restrictiveness and Housing Foreclosures: Exploring a New Link to the Subprime Mortgage Crisis. Housing Policy Debate 23(2): 1-27.
Teaching and advising
- UP 116 Analytical Planning Methods
- UP 136 Urban Sustainability
- UP 203 Cities: Planning and Urban Life
- UP 312 Communication for Planners Instructor
- UP 446 Sustainable Planning Seminar
- UP 475 Real Estate Development Fundamentals
- UP 503 Physical Planning Instructor
- UP 512 Urban Skills and Applications I: Colloquium
- UP 513 Urban Skills and Applications II: Practicum
- UP 574 Growth Management and Regional Planning
Master of Urban Planning
- Prahallad Badami
- Andreas Guevara-Nadeau
- Desiree Pastrana Otero
- Sushma Pramod
- Shubhangi Rathor