About Mary Edwards, FAICP
Mary Edwards is an Associate Professor who teaches courses in state and local public finance, health and planning and professional planning practice. Her research contributions have advanced both planning scholarship and practice surrounding issues of growth and change, including annexation and the fiscal impacts of development. More recent research and teaching interests explore the evolving role of health in land use planning.
She also serves as Associate Dean of Undergraduate Academic Affairs for the College of Fine and Applied Arts. In this leadership role, she oversees the college’s student support efforts, which include academic advising, academic records administration, the first-year experience, curriculum development, career services, and international education.
Mary Edwards received a PhD in urban and regional planning from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a specialization in fiscal planning and a minor in public policy analysis. She also holds a master’s degree in economics with a specialization in public sector economics and a master’s degree in urban planning and policy. She is a fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners.
- PhD in Urban and Regional Planning, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Master of Arts (MA) in Urban Planning and Policy, University of IL at Chicago
- Master of Arts (MA) in Economics, Western Illinois University
- Bachelor of Business (BB) in Economics, Western Illinois University
Research and publications
Ongoing and upcoming research
Ongoing and Upcoming Research
Her most recent research project focuses on aging in place and specifically on local housing. Through an analysis of local plans and zoning codes, the research evaluates the preparedness of a sample of Midwestern communities to meet the housing needs of an aging population.
The results of this analysis will enable greater understanding of local housing policies that are linked to successful aging in place in mid-size Midwestern communities. Research findings will also inform recommendations for participating communities which will help them modify their policy and regulatory environments and increase their support for those who want to age in place.
Greenlee, A, MM Edwards and J Anthony. 2015. Planning Skills: An Examination of Supply and Local Government Demand, Journal of Planning Education and Research, 35 (2) 161-173.
Wilson, B and MM Edwards, 2014. Annexation and Ethnicity in the American Midwest, Urban Affairs Review, 50, 3: 417-447.
Edwards, Mary M. and Lisa K. Bates. 2011. Planning’s Core Curriculum: Knowledge, Practice and Implementation. Journal of Planning Education and Research. 31(2): 172-183.
Edwards, Mary M. 2011. "Municipal Annexation: Does State Policy Matter?" Land Use Policy, 28 (1): 325-333.
Edwards Mary M. and Jack R. Huddleston. 2010. "Prospects and Perils of Fiscal Impact Analysis." Journal of the American Planning Association 76 (1): 25-41.
Teaching and advising
- UP 101: Introduction to Planning
- UP 116: Analytical Planning Methods
- UP 201: Planning in Action
- UP 203: Cities, Regions and Social Science
- UP 316: Planning Analysis
- UP 340: Planning for Healthy Cities
- UP 407: State and Local Government Finance
- UP 494-ME: Health and Place: A Planning Workshop
- UP 507: Organizational and Financial Management
- UP 590: Professional Internship
- UP 591: Capstone Seminar
Service on PhD Examination Committees
- Sowmya Balachandran, current, Qualifying and Preliminary Examination Committee
- Xiangrong Jiang, 2017, Qualifying and Preliminary Examination Committee
- Troy Mix, 2011. Qualifying Examination Committee
- Sangjun Kang, PhD, 2008, Qualifying and Preliminary Examination Committee
PhD Students Supervised
- Sophia Sianis, current
- Kate Nesse, 2012. How do we Know? Determining School District Fiscal and Administrative Policy in Rural Hispanic Boomtowns in the Midwest.
Master’s Students Supervised: Capstone Projects
- Emma Smith, 2020. Reclaiming Authenticity – A Tourism Growth Management Strategy for Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Susannah Davidson, 2019. Mount Prospect, Illinois: How a Suburb Developed.
- Eric Van Buskirk, 2019. Zoning by Design
- Chieh Yang, 2019. Sustainable Real Estate Development at the Local Level - Request for Proposal (RFP) of Development Review
- Teresa Anderson. 2018. Derby Street Corridor Plan and Revitalization Study, City of Pekin
- Michael Fitz, 2017. Save the Farms! Green Garden Township Comprehensive Plan
- Rachael Wilson, 2017. Healthy Neighborhood Revitalization in Peoria, Illinois
- Francesca Sallinger, 2017. Mercer County Better Together: Community Based Planning for Economic Development
- Cara Riordan, 2017. The New West Side: A Neighborhood Assessment of the Hudson Yards
- Emily Weimer, 2016. East Bluff’s Safe Routes to Learn and Play
- Christopher Szmurlo, 2016. Champaign Zoning Handbook
- Miles Thomas, 2016. BikeNet: Preventing Theft, Building Community
- William Lyman, 2016. Streamlined Bus Boarding in Chicago
- Zaheeda Darvesh, 2015. The Effects of Socioeconomic and Built Environment Factors on Overweight and Obesity Prevalence in Champaign County
- Susan Fisher, 2015. The Economic Impact of the Illinois Marathon
- Grace Kyung, 2015. Pathway to Creating a Bicycle Friendly University
- Maximillian Mahalek, 2015. Crime Prevention in the Southeastern District of Urbana, Illinois through the Application of Environmental Design Principals and the Enhanced Monitoring of the Built Environment
- Matt Rejc, 2015. Lake County Affordable Housing Plan
- Nancy Smebak, 2015. Eat Here: “Local Foods Landmarks” Report for the Greater Peoria, Illinois, Region
- Rachel Ezell, 2014. A Public Engagement Strategy for Flower Mound, TX
- Andrea de Berry Melgarejo, 2014. Expanding the Use of Vacant Land for Urban Agriculture in Champaign, IL
- Heba Elayan, 2014. Growing Prosperity: Best Practices in Urban Agriculture
- Anna Franco, 2013, Aurora Neighborhood Plan
- Ashley Walls, 2013. Elmwood Active Living by Design
- Kate Ferrer, 2012, Reimagining Downtown: Creative Placemaking in Monmouth, Illinois
- Elli Cosky, 2012. Main Street Revitalization Plan, Knoxville, Illinois
- Edward Tseng, 2012. Return of Investment for the City of Champaign: University Research Park
- Laura Searfoss, 2011. Local Perspectives on HUDs Neighborhood Stabilization Program.
- Luciana Mouro Varanda de Mattos, 2011. Inequality in medium cities: An exploratory study in urban morphology in intermediate urban centers in Brazil (Master’s Thesis)
- Ryan Holmes, Scott Albertson and Tina-Marie Smith, 2010. Champaign-Urbana Green Corridors Plan
- Robert Boyer and Marisa Dolin, 2009. Bristol Place Neighborhood Plan
- Rebecca Glatzer, 2005. Zoning and Assisted Living Facilities
- Elizabeth Davis, 2005. Midtown and Western Gateway Revitalization Plan
- Peidi Chin and Matt Wempe, 2005. Enhancing Champaign’s Hotel and Convention Center Market: Linking Sports and Conventions.
- Benjamin Mason and Jason Zawila, 2005. The Bristol Place Neighborhood Improvement Plan
- Kathleen Marsh Wilson, 2005. Vacant Property Analysis for Belleville, Illinois West Main Corridor