About Bumsoo Lee
Bumsoo Lee is Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning and Tschangho John Kim Scholar in Urban and Regional Systems. His research interest is in the spatial organization of urban areas and sustainable transportation systems. He investigates how technological development and demographic dynamics are reshaping urban structure, how land use and transportation interact, and what roles pricing and land use policies play in promoting more sustainable development.
He received his PhD in Planning from the University of Southern California (USC) in 2006. Upon the completion of his doctoral study, he worked as a postdoctoral scholar at the Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events at USC. He also holds a master's degree in Urban Planning from Seoul National University, Korea and bachelor's degree in Urban Planning from HanYang University, Korea. Before his doctoral study at USC, he worked as a research associate at Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements (KRIHS) for three years.
- PhD in Planning, School of Policy, Planning, and Development, University of Southern California, 2006
- Master of City Planning, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 1996
- Bachelor of Science, Department of Urban Planning, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, 1994
Research and publications
Ongoing and upcoming research
His recent and ongoing research projects include studies on complementary effects of pricing and land use policies, influence of urban form on travel behavior and Greenhouse Gas emissions, location and travel choices of Millennials, and factors driving the recent transit ridership decline in US cities.
- Braun, Lindsay (PI), Jesus Barajas, and Bumsoo Lee (co-PI). 2020-2021. “Transit Ridership Trends in Downstate Illinois”. Illinois Department of Transportation, $312,250.
- Lee, Bumsoo (PI). 2019. “University of Illinois Transit Ridership Study”. Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD), $21,266.
- Braun, Lindsay, Jesus Barajas, and Bumsoo Lee (Co-PI). 2018-2020. “Construction of Pedestrian Infrastructure Along Transit Corridors”. Illinois Center for Transportation, Illinois Department of Transportation IDOT R27-200, $248,915.
Lee, Yongsung, Bumsoo Lee, and M. Tanvir Hossain Shubho. 2019. Urban revival by Millennials? Intra-urban net migration patterns of young adults, 1980–2010. Journal of Regional Science 59 (3): 538-566.
Kim, Junghwan and Bumsoo Lee. 2019. More than travel time: New accessibility index capturing the connectivity of transit services. Journal of Transport Geography 78: 8-18.
Liu, L., T. Hwang, S. Lee, Y. Ouyang, B. Lee, S. J. Smith, C. Tessum, J. Marshall, F. Yan, and K. Daenzer. 2019. Health and climate impacts of future United States land freight modelled with global-to-urban models. Nature Sustainability 2 (2): 105-112.
Baker, Dwayne M. and Bumsoo Lee. 2019. How Does Light Rail Transit (LRT) Impact Gentrification? Evidence from Fourteen US Urbanized Areas. Journal of Planning Education and Research 39 (1): 35-49.
Lee, Sungwon and Bumsoo Lee. 2019. The influence of urban form on GHG emissions in the US household sector. In Hamin, E., Y. Abunnasr, and R. Ryan eds. Planning for Climate Change: A Reader in Green Infrastructure and Sustainable Design for Resilient Cities. New York: Routledge Press. Reprint of Lee and Lee (2014) in Energy Policy.
Teaching and advising
- PPD 358: Urban & Regional Economics, USC
- UP 116: Analytical Planning Methods
- UP 316: Urban Informatics II
- UP 460: Urban Transportation and Land Use Policy
- UP 509: Economics for Planners
PhD in Regional Planning
- Sungwon Lee (2015): The Role of Urban Spatial Structure in Reducing VMT and GHG Emissions. [Currently assistant professor at Gangneung-Wonju National University, Korea]
- Joanna Ganning (2010): “Growth effects of urban-rural intra-regional linkages on counties and communities in the U.S.” [Currently associate professor at Cleveland State University]
Master of Urban Planning
- Anusha Mishra
- Rafsun Mashraky
- Bincy Koshy
- Hyunsik Choi
- Amanda Wolfe
- Mahmood Al-Wahaibi
- Junghwan Kim
- Yiyuan (Gavin) Wang
- Ziqi Liu
- Sukanya Sharma
- Geoff Gray-Cornelius
- Gurdeep Kaur
- Shuake Wuzhati
- Myke Griseta
- Mariane Shen Yin Lin
- Laitian Zhong
- Evan Alvarez
- Zherui Li
- Alex Norr
- Prateek Mittal
- Daniel Quan Chak Tse
- Drew Awsumb
- Kerilyn Gallagher
- Yongsung Lee
- Dan Begert
- Seth Gunnerson
- David Massey